This recipe is a unique take on the classic Italian pesto sauce. If you’ve ever made a pesto sauce before you know it’s usually made with basil, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese as the main ingredients. I’ve seen it made using other herbs like parsley or cilantro and other nuts like walnuts or almonds. So I thought since I’m a huge avocado fan why not try making it with avocado? The thing with avocado though is that it’s usually not good eaten warm. I personally like it heated a little bit but for some it ruins the whole buttery flavor. That’s where the spinach comes in!
Spinach is a nice addition to the already healthy avocado and the green color you achieve by mixing the avocado and spinach screams healthy! As a bonus this pesto is so easy to make! All you need is a few simple ingredients and a blender!
Here’s how to make your very own avocado and spinach pesto sauce!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup extra sharp white cheddar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the core and add it to your blender. I like to blend everything together after adding each ingredient so go ahead and blend the avocado till it’s nice and smooth.
- Next add in the freshly washed spinach and the garlic cloves, then blend away again. I like utilizing the entire spinach bunch including the stems so you may need to add the spinach in batches so it blends together more effectively.
- Now add in the cashews, lime, salt, pepper and grated cheddar cheese. Blend everything till it’s well combined.
- Finally start streaming in the olive oil and keep blending until you achieve a smooth consistency.
You now have an amazing, healthy, and versatile pesto sauce!
So far I’ve used this sauce to make sausages and peppers, as well as tilapia. Why not give it a try and let me know what you think? I’d love to hear your comments!